Autumn is the beginning of avocado season – but that is not the only reason to eat avo! This is a much anticipated time of year – that glorious time when avocados are at their absolutely best and we can enjoy them all day long at great prices! The even better news – not only are they delicious, they are a superfood! Why do you ask? Here are some awesome avo facts:
- Avos are packed full of vitamins and minerals. Avos contain vitamin C, E, K and B6, and potassium and magnesium.
- Rich in folate (a form of Vitamin B9) which is proven as a mood-enhancer.
- Avo is packed with fatty acids – plant-based fats that are a mixture of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. The jury is still out on the impacts of fats, but you definitely need them for your body to build cell membranes. Just check how much avo is advised for your daily recommended intake.
- Avocados contain fibre (about 10 grams each) which helps your digestive system to do its job properly and running smoothly. In addition, fibre slows the breakdown of carbohydrates in your body, helping you feel full for longer while increasing your gut health.
- Rich, creamy, and packed with beneficial monounsaturated fat, avocado slows digestion and helps keep blood sugar from spiking after a meal. A diet high in good fats may even help reverse insulin resistance, which translates to steadier blood sugar long-term. A creamy fat is a good replacement for salad dressing or margarine or mayo on a wrap or sandwich. Try putting mashed avocado on sandwiches instead of mayonnaise or on bread instead of butter.
The evidence is there – include more avocado in your diet today!
Ideas to add Avo into your diet:
- Just season with salt and pepper, and maybe a dash of lemon juice
- In a green salad with cottage cheese
- On toast with some balsamic vinegar glaze
- Baked with an egg inside
- Be adventurous and add it to a smoothie, or even a chocolate mousse.
#LoveGoodFood #LoveFoodMovement #Avocados #TheatreOfFood #FruitFacts https://www.avocado.co.za/ Source: https://foodrevolution.org/blog/avocado-health-benefits/