Foodies, medical experts, and chefs are always saying that we should eat seasonally, but why and what does it mean? We divulge the reason behind eating locally, seasonally and why it’s good for your health, the Earth AND your pocket.
Eating food that is in season is cheaper than buying fresh produce that is not in season, as it can be locally grown, and not in need of imported or stored for a long period. This is healthy as the nutrients are better preserved because it does not have to travel far and it can be harvested at its peak time. It makes rands and sense!
Eating seasonally is mother nature’s way of saying – here are the nutrients and micro-elements you need as the season changes. At Food Lover’s, we are all about fresh produce – so we like to believe that there it is no coincidence that citrus appears right when we need a Vitamin C boost.
Getting the right things for your body is not the only reason to enjoy seasonal produce:
- Sometimes avos are SO EXPENSIVE RIGHT? That’s when they are not in season. Enjoy fresh produce in season and your budget will enjoy it too.
- It tastes better. That is when your fresh will be at its best. Optimal flavour, texture, and nutrients.
- It’s better for the environment – less transport/importing = less emissions. Plus, you can support your local farmers with local in-season produce.
- You get a wide vairety of foods in your diet
- Support local and more sustainable farmers