Authentic Italian Lasagna
An all-time favourite worth every second of preparing! Make extra for the next day or to freeze for another day.
Prep Time40 minutes
Cooking Time1 hour
For the cheese sauce:
- 375ml (1 ½ cup) milk
- 375ml (1 ½ cup) vegetable stock
- 60ml (1/4 cup) butter
- 80ml (1/3 cup) flour
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 2 cups strong cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Lasagna
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1kg pork mince
- 2x 400g tins La Belinda tomatoes
- Italian herbs, for seasoning
- 50g La Belinda tomato paste
- 300ml Beef Stock
- 2 sprigs, rosemary
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sugar
- 10 Lasagne sheets
- 50g butter
- 50g flour
- 500ml milk
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 100g grated Parmesan (*optional)
For the Lasagna:
- Preheat the oven to 180℃
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pot; sweat the onions and garlic for 5 minutes over a low heat.
- Add the mince and brown for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, rosemary and sugar and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Season the mince with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk a little at a time, whisking continuously – making sure there are no lumps.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and simmer for 2 minutes, season to taste. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and boil the lasagna sheets for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Place half the mice into an oven-proof casserole dish, top with half the lasagna sheets, spoon over half the white sauce, repeat this process and top with grated Parmesan.
- Bake the lasagna for 30 minutes at 180°c, until lasagne sheets are cooked through and golden brown on top.