The addition of cream and Pernod elevates this dish to something sublime. You can happily serve it to guests; they will be blown-away by its flavour without quite being able put their finger on its identity – that’s your secret now, so smile and offer seconds. You can easily double the quantity.
- Baking, Frying
Prep Time15 minutes
Cooking Time30 minutes
- 1 kg prepack spinach, washed and sliced
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced thinly
- 2 leeks, sliced thinly
- 1 packet Food Lover’s Seafood Mix, defrosted (or Prawn Meat if you prefer)
- 500 g hake fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 60 ml butter
- 60 ml flour
- 300 ml milk
- 100 ml cream
- 20 ml Pernod or Ouzo (or any aniseed-flavoured alcohol)
- Grana Padano cheese, grated finely
- Boil potatoes in their jackets; peel off skins and slice thinly while still hot.
- Mix together the lemon juice, stock, oil, sugar, salt, lemon rind, spring onions and celery if using. Whisk until well combined; pour dressing over potatoes and allow to cool. Do not refrigerate; this will allow flavours to develop.
- Just before serving, season with extra salt if required and a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with egg and onion; serve either with the aioli drizzled over or separately alongside.
- --Garlic Aioli
- Crush garlic into a smooth paste.
- Whisk together egg yolk, lemon juice and mustard.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking all the time, so mixture does not separate. If it looks like separating, stop adding oil and whisk to emulsify ingredients more, then resume adding oil drop by drop. Once all oil added, whisk in garlic paste.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in fridge until required.