Beef & Bean Stuffed Potatoes
We all love potatoes, a staple for most. Make it interesting with Beef & Bean stuffed Potatoes. A hearty healthy weeknight meal.
Prep Time30 minutes
Cooking Time1 hour
- 4 large potatoes
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) chilli powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) cumin
- 12.5ml (1/4 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 5ml (1 tsp) onion powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) garlic powder
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 125ml (1/2 cup) tomato sauce
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fruit chutney
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) freshly ground black pepper
- Chives, to garnish
- Sour cream, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 200˚C.
- Slice each potato lengthwise down the middle. Place on a baking tray and brush with olive oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add all the spices and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the beef mince and fry for another 8-10 minutes or until evenly browned.
- Add the red kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, and fruit chutney. Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow to simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- If the mixture becomes too dry, add more tomato sauce.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, scoop out the flesh of the potatoes leaving about a 1cm border to prevent the potatoes from collapsing.
- Reserve the insides of the potatoes for later use.
- Scoop the chilli mince into the potato pockets and freeze the remaining meat for later use.
- Serve immediately with freshly chopped chives and a dollop of sour cream.
Make the meaty mixture x2 and freeze the extra meat for spaghetti bolognese or cottage pie. You can use the potato that you scooped out for the top of the cottage pie, or incorporate it in a salad.