Beetroot Brioche and Rib Burger with Feta, Beetroot and Dill Sauce
If you’ve been making homemade bread, then this beetroot brioche bun recipe is just what you need to challenge yourself with! Get creative with your toppings, or fillings. We’ve paired that earthy beetroot with sticky, sweet pork ribs and a refreshing dill sauce.
Prep Time50 minutes
Cooking Time1 hour 40 minutes
For the Beetroot Brioche Buns:
- 2 medium beetroots
- 100ml (1/3 cup, 2 Tbsp) full cream milk
- 500g bread flour
- 7.5ml (1½ tsp) salt
- 30g caster sugar
- 7g instant yeast
- 4 eggs
- 150g unsalted butter, cubed and soft
- 1 egg
- 5ml (1 Tbsp) black sesame seeds
For the Beetroot Yoghurt Sauce:
- 2 medium beetroots
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) plain yoghurt
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) mayonnaise
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- A handful of fresh dill, chopped
For the Pulled Pork:
- 250g Food Lover’s Pork Belly or Loin Ribs
- 250g Food Lover’s Pork Belly or Loin Ribs1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 250ml (1 cup) rocket
- 125ml (1/2 cup) feta, cubed
For the Beetroot Brioche Buns
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Wrap the beetroot in foil. Bake for 1 hour, then remove from foil and allow to cool. Peel and quarter the beetroot. Place them in a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Warm the milk in a saucepan until lukewarm.
- Place flour in the bowl of a stand mixer. Place salt and sugar on the one side of the bowl and the instant yeast on the other side. Add the warm milk, beetroot and eggs. Mix on slow speed for 2 minutes. Increase the speed for 8 minutes.
- Gradually add the cubed butter. Mix for 5 minutes until all the butter is incorporated. The dough will be soft, but not sticky.
- Place in a bowl and wrap with cling wrap. Let proof until doubled in size – about 1 – 2 hours.
- Once doubled in size, knock down. Weigh out 140g of bread dough. Shape into burger buns. Place on baking paper on a baking tray. Proof for 30 minutes.
- Beat one egg and brush over the buns. Sprinkle black sesame seeds over.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Leave to cool down.
- Boil the beetroot in a medium-sized pot for about 30 minutes until soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then peel.
- Purée the cooked beetroot.
- In a bowl, mix the yoghurt, mayonnaise, salt and garlic until well combined. Add the puréed beetroot and freshly-chopped dill.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Place the ribs onto a baking tray and roast for 40 minutes.
- Cool down and use two forks to pull the ribs apart.
- Cut the burger buns open, place rocket on the bottom bun. Place cubed feta and thinly sliced onion on the rocket. Place the pulled pork on. Pour the beetroot yoghurt sauce over.