Butternut, Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup
Butternut, Sweet Potato and Ginger are a perfect combo, blitzed together and you get an immune-boosting soup! It’s super simple and made from just staple vegetables.
- Soups and Stews
- Soups, Stews & Potjies
- South African
Prep Time15 minutes
Cooking Time45 minutes
- 1 large butternut, peeled and cubed
- 2 orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3cm fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- Olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) ground cumin
- 1 red chilli, sliced *optional
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) turmeric
- 500-750ml (2 -3 cups) chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chives, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare a large oven tray by lining it with tin foil.
- Place the butternut, sweet potato cubes, ginger and garlic on the baking tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with some olive oil.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes or until cooked and nicely browned.
- While the butternut is roasting away, heat a frying pan over medium heat with a splash of olive oil.
- Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes while stirring, then add the chilli and spices and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- Once the butternut and sweet potato are done roasting, place it in a blender with the onion mixture and add the chicken stock.
- Season to taste and blend until smooth.
- You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender.
- Garnish with chives and serve the soup hot with freshly-baked bread and real farm butter.
If you have a stick blender, it may be easier to blend it up in the pot.