Chickpea & Mushroom Burgers
Just because you don’t eat meat is no reason to feel left out at a burger cook-up. These chickpea and mushroom patties will have even the most ardent meatlover rubbing shoulders with you trying to sneak a piece!
Prep Time60 minutes
Cooking Time20 minutes
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 200g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 5 ml (1 tsp) medium curry powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
- zest and juice of ½ lemon
- salt & pepper
- 2 eggs or 2 flax eggs
- 60 ml chopped parsley
- 30 ml cake flour
- sunflower oil, for frying
- extra flour, for coating
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 4 Tbsp hummus (vegan option) or 100g feta (optional) or
- few sprigs fresh mint including stalks
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 1 small chilli, sliced (optional)
- pinch ground coriander
- pinch ground cumin
- salt to taste
- 6 whole wheat seed buns
- lettuce or finely shredded cabbage
- thinly sliced radishes
- thinly sliced cucumber
- Peel the carrots; grate coarsely and allow to drain.
- With a fork, mash the chickpeas.
- Heat a little oil in a pan; add the mushrooms, carrot and onions.
- Saute until vegetables become softened. Add the spices and allow mixture to become aromatic.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before proceeding.
- Add mashed chickpeas, lemon juice and rind, seasoning, egg, parsley and flour to the vegetables, and if necessary mash more until you have a rough paste with some chunky bits.
- You can use a food processor if you have one, just don’t process past the rough stage.
- Divide the mixture into 6 and shape into patties gently with your hands; they will be quite loose but this is normal.
- Sprinkle flour onto a flat surface and carefully coat patties on both sides, shaping with your hands all the time.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the patties gently on one side for about 4 minutes. Carefuly flip patties on to the other side and repeat the cooking.
- Do not over-handle as the patties will fall apart. Remove when browned and holding their shape.
Lightly mix all ingredients together, except feta. Combine well; add the feta, folding in carefully.
6 whole wheat seed buns
lettuce or finely shredded cabbage
thinly sliced radishes
thinly sliced cucumber