Gingerbread Cake with Maple Frosting
This incredible showstopper of a Christmas dessert brought to you by Bibby’s Kitchen; a Gingerbread Village Christmas Cake. This recipe uses the famous Food Lover’s Festive Fruit Cake Mix (a.k.a the red bucket).
- 180g salted butter, at room temperature
- 200g brown sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) molasses
- 125ml (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 125ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 320g cake wheat flour
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 20ml (4 tsps ) ginger
- 10ml (2 tsp) cinnamon
- 5ml (1 tsp) mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 185g (1 1/4 cup) Food Lover's Market Festive Food Cake Mix
- 60g (1/2 cup) pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 250g cream cheese
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 30ml maple syrup
- 200g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180º C. Butter and line 3 x 20cm round baking tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Drizzle in the molasses and whisk to combine. Add the sour cream and buttermilk and mix on a low speed to incorporate.
- Sift together the flour, raising agents, salt and spices then add to the butter mixture. Tip in the Festive Food Cake Mix and pecans and fold through.
- Divide the batter between the tins. Bake for 25-27 minutes until cooked through. Cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- For the maple frosting, whisk until light and pale. Add the cream cheese, vanilla and maple syrup and whisk to combine.
- Sift in the icing sugar and whisk until smooth.
- To assemble, place one layer on a cake stand. Spread with 1/4 cup frosting, then place the second layer on top. Repeat with the third cake layer. Cover the sides and top of the gingerbread cake liberally.
- Decorate with iced gingerbread biscuits.