Grapefruit and Roasted Beetroot Winter Salad with Warm Blood Orange and Chilli Dressing
When it comes to nutrient density, the most deeply coloured fruits are a go-to. Beetroots are known for their alkalizing properties and antioxidative effects, paired with the beautiful ruby grapefruit and blood oranges, this salad packs a punch in terms of nutrients & vitamins. Citrus is shown to aid the absorption of iron and minerals from foods.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cooking Time40 minutes
- 6 beetroots, peeled and quartered
- 250ml (1 cup) quinoa
- 2 Star-Ruby grapefruits, segmented
- 200g spinach, washed and shredded
- 2 wheels black pepper feta, crumbled (optional)
- 45ml (3 Tbsp) mixed seeds, toasted
For the dressing:
- Zest and juice about 250ml (1 cup) of 2 large blood oranges (or navel oranges)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1 large chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) white wine vinegar
- 5ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 10ml (2 tsp) honey. (*exclude if Vegan, substitute with brown sugar)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the beetroot on a baking tray, season to taste and drizzle with a dash of olive oil.
- Roast for about 30-40 minutes until cooked. Set aside until needed.
- Cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside until needed.
- In a serving bowl or platter; arrange the spinach, topped with the cooked quinoa, roasted beetroot, ruby grapefruit segments and optional black pepper feta.
- Sprinkle over the toasted mixed seeds.
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve alongside your citrus salad