Pete’s Grilled Smoked Gammon with Grilled Pineapple & Chilli salsa
Pete Goffe-Wood’s famous grilled smoked gammon topped with grilled pineapple salsa, with a chilli kick! You can also enjoy this pineapple & chilli salsa with grilled pork chops.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cooking Time1 hour 15 minutes
For the Gammon:
- 2kg Food Lover’s Market Smoked Boneless Gammon
- 2l (4 cups) water
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 cloves
- 4 star anise
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) coriander seeds
- 1 onion, quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
For the Salsa:
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cut into rings
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed and diced
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 1.5cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 10g coriander, roughly chopped
- Salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar
For the Gammon:
- Place the gammon in a large pot with the water, spices and aromatics and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from the cooking liquid and allow to cool slightly.
- Remove the net and cut the gammon into 8 thick slices - “steaks” - then brush them with a little olive oil and place on the grid over hot coals.
- Cook on either side for approx. 2 minutes (remember the gammon is already cooked and if you leave it on the fire for too long it will dry out.)
- Place the pineapple slices on a hot grid and cook for 3 minutes or until the pineapple begins to colour and soften.
- Remove from the heat and cut into a neat dice.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Dice the cucumber and the red pepper. Add the grilled pineapple to the cucumber and peppers.
- Grate the ginger into the salsa. Finely chop the chillies and add to the salsa, followed by the lime juice and chopped coriander.
- Season to taste with the salt, pepper and sugar.
- Remove the gammon steaks from the fire, place on a serving platter and spoon over generous amounts of the pineapple salsa.