Guava Marinated Chicken Wings
These grilled chicken skewers are glazed in the most delicious sweet and sticky guava BBQ sauce and they are sure to be the main star at any cookout this Autumn or Winter – with the seasonest best in fresh guavas! Easy to make and pair well with a yoghurt dressing. The marinade is quick to prepare, and you can leave for an hour to overnight, or simply use it as a basting sauce on those chicken pieces.
When guavas are not in season, you can still make this delicious marinade using tinned guavas.
Prep Time1 hour 20 minutes
Cooking Time50 minutes
- 8 Chicken Wings (or a Chicken Braai Pack)
- 4-5 ripe guavas, quartered (or 200 g tinned guava, drained)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Food Lover’s Tomato Sauce
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) white wine vinegar
- 7.5ml (1/2 Tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 7.5ml (1/2 Tbsp) soy sauce
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) ginger
- 5ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 5ml (1 tsp) paprika
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 250ml (1 cup) Food Lover’s Plain Yoghurt
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) coriander, finely chopped
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) lime zest
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Blend the guavas until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the blended guavas and the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Place the chicken wings in the marinade and make sure it is well coated. Cover the bowl and rest in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight. This is an optional step - you can also just baste the chicken wings before cooking. Marinating the meat for longer will intensify the flavours.
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Evenly place the marinated chicken wings on a tray and cook for 40-50 minutes or until cooked through and the marinade has caramelized. Make sure to rotate the chicken wings to get even browning.
- In the meantime, make the yoghurt sauce: Combine all the ingredients together.
- Serve the chicken wings hot with the yoghurt sauce and enjoy.