Home Made Apple Sauce
It’s apple season! Make the most of it with this impossibly simple homemade applesauce. Only 15 minutes to whip it together and it keeps for a month in the fridge, or 3 in the freezer. Not only is it free from preservatives, but its incredibly cheap to make too! Great with pork or chicken, pancakes or on top of overnight oats or porridge.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cooking Time15 minutes
- 4 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated and juiced
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- Peel, core and chop the apples.
- Combine apple, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons cold water in a saucepan.
- Bring the suacepan to the boil, then reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and cook for 12 - 15 minutes or until apples soften.
- Stir in lemon rind and sugar. Allow to cool.
- Blend with a stick blender. Enjoy warm or cold.
You can store the applesause in the fridge for up to a month, or freeze for 3 months.
In May, buy a Tru-Cape 1.5kg of apples and pears and contribute to a meal for one hungry person.
Read more here: http://foodloversmarket.co.za/world-hunger-day/ Valid: 1 -28 May 2018