Homemade Harissa, Sweet Potato and Sesame Seed Loaf
Homemade Harissa paste accompanies sweet potato perfectly in this yeast-free quick bread. This Harissa paste is also a delish spread on our artisan breads.
Prep Time30 minutes
Cooking Time1 hour
For the harissa paste:
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) cumin seeds
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) coriander seeds
- 10ml (2 tsp) fennel seeds
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) paprika
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) smoked paprika
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) dried chilli flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 200g (1/2 can) peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 fresh red chillies
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Sweet Potato Bread:
- 515g (4½ cups) self-raising flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) salt
- 5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 250ml (1 cup) sweet potato mash
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30-45ml (2-3 Tbsp) homemade harissa paste
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) sesame seeds
For the Harissa paste:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C. Place the bell peppers on a baking tray and drizzle with a dash of olive oil.
- Roast the peppers for about 15 minutes, turning them around halfway.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and place them into a bowl and immediately cover the bowl with cling wrap.
- This allows steam to build up and makes it easier for the skins to loosen and peel off later.
- Allow to stand for about 10-15 minutes, then peel the skins off and slice the peppers into strips.
- Heat a pan to medium heat and toast the cumin, coriander and fennel seeds, and the smoked and plain paprika, until fragrant – about 1-2 minutes.
- Place the roasted peppers, toasted spices and all other ingredients for the harissa paste into a blender and blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Combine the self-raising flour, salt and bicarb and mix well. In another bowl, combine the honey, sweet potato mash and egg.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well until you have a workable dough.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to about 2-3cm thick.
- Spread the harissa paste on the dough and fold the two long sides in to close the dough. Gently roll again into an oval shape and cut two slices lengthwise, leaving the dough attached at the top. Plait the dough and pinch to seal at the end.
- Place on a prepared baking tray and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place in the oven and lower the temperature to 180°C. Bake for about 30-45 minutes or until cooked and golden.
- Serve the loaf with real farm butter.
Harissa is a Tunisian hot chili pepper paste. It can be made in bulk and kept in the fridge in an airtight glass jar. You can even freeze the paste for later use. It can be used in vegetable or meat dishes.
If you not into making your own breads, this Harissa paste is the perfect spread on any of our freshly baked artisan breads.