Peanut Butter Cookie Mousse Apples
A new take on beloved caramel apples. These are apples filled with a delicious peanut butter cookie mousse, coated in chocolate, and topped with crushed cookies and crunchy almonds. You can decide on your toppings though! A fresh dessert recipe to enjoy on any day of the week. This recipe is refined sugar-free, using maple syrup or almonds for sweetness.
Setting time: 1 hour
- Sugar Free
Prep Time20 minutes
Cooking Time5 minutes
- 5g Gelatin Powder
- 250ml (1 cup) Cream
- 5ml (1 tsp) Vanilla
- 45ml (3 Tbsp) Maple Syrup or You First Raw Honey
- 75ml (5 Tbsp) Oh Mega Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Nairn's Chocolate Chip Oat Biscuit Breaks, crushed (or other sugar-free biscuits of choice)
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 6-8 Tru-Cape Royal Gala or Cripps Pink Apples
- Melted chocolate of your choice (*sugar-free)
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) almonds, chopped and lightly toasted or roasted
- Extra Nairn's Chocolate Chip Oat Biscuit Breaks, crushed
- In a small bowl, mix the gelatin powder with about 30ml (2 Tbsp) water and allow to sponge for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, whip the cream to stiff peaks, fold in the vanilla, maple syrup, peanut butter, crushed cookies and cinnamon.
- Melt the gelatin over a warm water bath or for a few seconds in the microwave and add to your cream mixture.
- Cut the tops off the apples and, with a melon baller (*or very carefully using a knife and spoon), hollow out the insides of the apples.
- Brush the insides with melted chocolate.
- Fill the apples with the peanut butter mousse and decorate with more chocolate.
- Allow the mousse to set in the fridge for about 1 hour. Top with almonds and extra cookie crumbs and serve.
Where can I buy Nairn’s Chocolate Chip Oat Biscuit Breaks?
You can buy Nairn’s biscuits at Food Lover’s Market stores. What if your local Food Lover’s Market does not stock these specific Nairn’s biscuits? You can substitute them for any other chocolate chip cookie, however, to keep this recipe sugar-free, then you will need to get a sugar-free cookie.
Can this recipe be gluten-free?
Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free cookies/biscuits.
Is this recipe vegan?
No, this peanut butter mousse recipe is not vegan, however, you can attempt to substitute the cream with coconut cream or a vegan-friendly cream. Please note that we have not tested this, so if you do, let us know! Tag @foodloversmarket on social media.