Prawn Pineapple Boats with Red Cabbage and Rice
Sail away into a foodie sensation with these prawn and pineapple boats. Prawn and pineapple…what a great combo! If you haven’t tried it, then this is the recipe to try. Pineapple halves are used as the bowl (or boats), the flesh is removed and chopped up with stir-fried cabbage, rice and Chinese 5-spiced prawns, making every spoonful a sensation.
- 2 queen pineapples
- 300g Food Lover’s Signature Catering prawn meat
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) Food Lover’s Signature extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pinches of salt
- ½ baby red cabbage, shaved
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup brown and wild rice, cooked
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) Chinese 5-spice
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) soy sauce
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) You First Raw honey
- Handful Food Lover’s raw cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 4 green spring onions, diagonally sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Slice both pineapples in half lengthways, keeping the leaves intact. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh, leaving just enough around the edges so that each “boat” remains sturdy.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the crushed garlic and cook, stirring for 2 minutes, making sure it doesn’t burn. Add the Chinese 5-spice and cook for a further minute until it turns fragrant.
- Add the prawn meat and salt, and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes until the prawns turn pink. Add the soy sauce and honey, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In the meantime; lightly toast the cashew nuts in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring often, taking care not to burn.
- Combine the diced pineapple, cabbage, carrot, rice and cooked prawn mixture. Stir well
- Spoon the prawn mixture into the pineapple boats, top with spring onions and chilli.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime.