Izelle’s Roasted Pepper, Caramelised Onion & Quinoa Salad
We adapted Izelle’s wholesome salad recipe to add more immune-boosting ingredients with what’s fresh in season! Not only is this salad immune-boosting, but it’s packed with anti-inflammatories. Adjust the ingredients to your liking!
- Light Meal
- South African
Prep Time15 minutes
Cooking Time30 minutes
- 3-4 Bell Peppers (deseeded and chopped into quarters)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Raw Honey
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds
- 2 Large Red Onions, diced
- 2 Cups White Quinoa
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 100g baby spinach
- 1 Tbsp Almond Flour (optional)
- Fresh Rosemary
- Ginger, grated/chopped
- Lemon, Lime or Citrus (to squeeze over as a dressing)
- Pumpkin Seeds or Mixed Seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200 and spray a baking tray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the bell peppers on the tray, drizzle with 1 Tbsp of the olive oil and 1 Tbsp Honey, season with salt & pepper, and sprinkle sesame seeds over. Roast for 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onions until golden brown.
- Add the ginger, garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add the broccoli and thinly sliced carrots and cook for another 3-5minutes (green but still crunchy).
- Drizzle with the remaining honey, season with salt, pepper, parsley and allow to caramelize over medium heat.
- Cook the quinoa as per the packet instructions, simply add the turmeric and season with salt.
- To assemble the salad, place the quino in a serving bowl, add the baby spinach, top with the broccoli & caramelized onion mix, the roasted red peppers.
- Sprinkle with almond flour, pumpkin seeds/mixed seeds and fresh rosemary. Squeeze your fresh citrus over and enjoy!