Sticky Hoisin Spare Ribs with Sweet Potato Fries
Looking for the most delicious, sticks, tender ribs? You’ve come to the right recipe with these sticky hoisin pork spare ribs. Paired with sweet potato fries and a fresh green salad, no need to pop out for that pub grub you’ve been craving, just make it at home.
- South African
Prep Time20 minutes
Cooking Time1 hour 15 minutes
2 x 1.2kg Food Lover’s Market pork spare rib racks
Sticky Hoisin Basting Sauce
250ml (1 cup) red wine vinegar
50g tomato paste
60ml (¼ cup) chilli jam or apricot jam
60ml (¼ cup) canola oil
125ml (½ cup) brown sugar
125ml (½ cup) hoisin sauce
15ml (1 Tbsp) braai spice or Moroccan mix
For the Fries
3 large orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into fries
Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Green Salad:
100g wild rocket and micro herb mix
1 cucumber, sliced into ribbons
6 radishes, thinly sliced
2 avocados, sliced
60ml (1/4 cup) of your favourite salad dressing
Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Ribs & Basting Sauce
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
Lightly salt your rib rack, place on a deep oven tray with very little water. Cover with foil and cook for about 20 min.
Remove from the oven and squeeze the juice of 2 lemons over your ribs. Cover again and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
In the meantime, make your basting sauce: Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and mix well to combine. Cook on medium heat to a thick, sticky consistency for about 5-8 minutes.
Remove the ribs from the oven and pour your basting sauce over the ribs, making sure you cover them.
Return your tray to the oven without foil. Keep an eye on the ribs once the basting sauce is over – they can easily burn. Turn them continuously in 5-minute intervals until the ribs are crispy or to your liking.
For the Fries
Place the cut fries onto a baking tray and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 30-45 minutes while tossing them around every 10 minutes to avoid them sticking to the pan, or until crispy and cooked to your liking.
For the Green Salad
Combine all salad ingredients, season to taste and serve with your favourite salad dressing.
- What if I don’t eat pork?
- Try this recipe with beef short ribs or lamb ribs. It’s all about the basting sauce.
- What if I don’t like sweet potatoes?
- Substitute the sweet potatoes for any fries you like. Regular potatoes, zucchini or buttenrut fries will work well.
- What if I am banting?
- Unfortunately, this Hoisin marinade is not the recipe for you, BUT you could try it with a banting-friendly marinade, such as Carb Smart Sticky Braai sauce with a touch of Soy Sauce for that Asian flavour. Substitute the Sweet Potato fries for Zucchini fries et voila!
- What can I make with leftover ribs?
- Pull the rib meat off the bone and make these delicious rib burgers.