- 1 chicken leg and thighs, intact
- 2 large brown mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 large onion, diced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 large garlic clove, diced
- 2 sprigs fresh marjoram
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Red Wine Sauce
- 30ml soya sauce
- 60ml red wine
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp Spanish paprika
- Using your fingers and a very sharp knife, free the meat from around the top of each chicken leg.
- Remove the knob from the top of the leg and discard.
- Keeping the skin on, dislocate the thigh bone from the drumstick bone and cut through the joint to free and remove the thigh.
- Debone the thigh and dice the meat into small pieces.
- Place the diced chicken into a bowl with the chopped onion, garlic and fresh herbs and mix well together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return to the chicken and remover the sharp ‘thorn’ bone from the leg, keeping the meat intact.
- ‘Stuff’ the chicken leg with the minced chicken meat and the onion, folding the skin over the base to seal the stuffing. Wrap in cling wrap and tie with a piece of string.
- Bring a little water to the boil in a steamer.
- Place the chicken thighs in the steamer and allow to steam, covered, for 20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Drain the sauced from the cooked chicken into a saucepan and add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil and allow to reduce until sticky. When sticky, dip the cooked chicken legs into the sauce and plat onto a baking tray.
- When sticky, dip the cooked chicken legs into the sauce and plat onto a baking tray.
- Place in the oven and allow to brown for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and plate, using the left-over sauce.