An all-time favourite worth every second of preparing! Make extra for the next day or to freeze for another day.
Prep Time35 minutes
Cooking Time40 minutes
For the Roast Vegetables
- 1 butternut, cubed or 500g chopped butternut/pumpkin
- 1/2 a Cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 Broccoli, chopped
For the cheese sauce:
- 375ml (1 ½ cup) milk
- 375ml (1 ½ cup) vegetable stock
- 60ml (1/4 cup) butter
- 80ml (1/3 cup) flour
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 2 cups strong cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Lasagna
- Roasted Vegetables (*listed above)
- 100g baby spinach
- 2 Aubergines, sliced lengthways
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2x 400g tins La Belinda tomatoes
- Italian herbs, for seasoning
- 50g La Belinda tomato paste
- 300ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 sprigs, rosemary
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sugar
- 10 Lasagne sheets
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 100g grated Parmesan (*optional)
- Preheat oven to 180℃
- Place vegetables in an oven dish, drizzle with olive oil and seasoning. Roast for about 30 minutes. Until the vegetables are just tender.
- Combine the milk and stock and heat the mixture – not to boiling point.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and allow to brown slightly – this adds a great nutty flavour to your sauce.
- Once the butter is a blonde colour, add all the flour and whisk until combined and your mixture has a pasty consistency.
- Add the heated milk mixture and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Cook on a medium heat until bubbles are forming to ensure the flour is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheese.
- Stir to melt all the cheesy goodness and season to taste.
- Cover the sauce with cling film directly on the surface of the sauce to prevent a skin from forming.
- **TIP – Never allow the sauce to boil again once you’ve added the cheese, because this will cause it to taste grainy and floury. When heating a cheese sauce, allow to heat slowly and evenly while stirring.
- For the tomato sauce: Heat the oil in a medium sized pot; sweat the onions and garlic for 5 minutes over a low heat. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, rosemary and sugar and simmer gently. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (*the oven should be preheated from the roast vegetables)
- Rub an oven-proof dish with some butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer all your veggie components, alternating with the aubergine slices, lasagne sheets, tomato sauce and cheese sauce in between the layers.
- Bake for about 45 minutes