What are waterblommetjies? Waterblommetjies are in season in Winter. The texture of the flowers is somewhat like miniature artichoke leaves, but the taste steers more towards green beans with a hint of lemon.
If you do know waterblommetjies, you either not sure how to cook ’em, love ’em or you’re not fond of that waterblommetjie bredie texture, right?! These spanakopitas will change your mind about waterblommetjies. A South African ingredient paired with one of our team’s most-loved Greek dishes; we bring you a waterblommetjie spanakopita!
A new take on spanakopitas for the season of waterblommetjies. If you have never tried them then this recipe is how you should try them.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cooking Time32 minutes
- 250g waterblommetjies
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- ½ white onion *optional
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
- 150g cream cheese
- 1 lemon, zest only
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 sheets of phyllo pastry, defrosted
- 45ml (3 Tbsp) butter, melted
- 45ml (3 Tbsp) mixed sesame seeds
- Soak the waterblommetjies in saltwater for at least 30 minutes and rinse well to make sure they are clean.
- Remove any thick stalks and chop the waterblommetjies quite fine. Heat a pan on a medium heat with the olive oil and sauté the spring onions and onion until al dente. Add the waterblommetjies and sauté for another 4-5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, add the feta, cream cheese and lemon zest and season to taste and add 15 ml (1 Tbsp) of the sesame seeds in the mixture, mix through and set aside until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and spray with non-stick spray.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on the work surface and brush with melted butter and place another sheet on top and brush with butter again. Make sure the phyllo pastry is laying landscape in front of you, cut the pastry into 3 equal pieces. And repeat this process with the other two pastry sheets in order to have 6 long rectangular pieces of pastry.
- Place 1/6 of the filling at the bottom of each pastry rectangle in one corner of the pastry sheet. Begin folding the pastry in triangles until you reach the end and brush with melted butter to secure and seal the end.
- Place the spanakopita on the prepared baking tray and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for about 25 minutes or until cooked and golden.
Waterblommetjie preparation tips:
- Soaking the waterblommetjies in salted water will get rid of any sand.
- Lemon juice will help the waterblommetjies retain colour.
What are waterblommetjies?
Learn more about what waterblommetjies are, where they come from, and how to cook them here.