We have been alerted to a phishing scam targeting consumers via a message being shared on WhatsApp. The message falsely claims to be a competition in celebration of Food Lover’s Market’s 30th birthday and promises that one lucky entrant may win R4000. This is a scam and we implore our consumers not to click on this link or share it under any circumstances.
The company is not celebrating its 30th birthday, the competition is completely fraudulent and did NOT originate from Food Lover’s Market or any of its partners.
The scam itself is shared on WhatsApp as a link. Once clicked, it invites the reader to complete a questionnaire to stand a chance of winning R4000. As the platform is WhatsApp, it’s very hard to trace the origins of the scam in order to block it. Food Lover’s Market will not hesitate to bring criminal charges, should we be able to trace the origin of the scam.
Furthermore, we have alerted our consumers to the scam via our social media platforms on several consecutive days, as well as alerting our internal teams.
How do you know it’s a phishing scam?
* Competitions will only be advertised on the Food Lover’s Market website (with the domain name foodloversmarket.co.za) or Food Lover’s Market social media platforms and never as a link shared on WhatsApp or any other website.
* There will always be terms and conditions attached, available for you to access on the Food Lover’s Market website.
* If you receive a link via a messaging platform, claiming to be from Food Lover’s Market, do not click on it – rather contact our Customer Care to confirm the legitimacy of the competition.
* Food Lover’s Market will never ask you for payment of any kind in order to access a prize.
* Food Lover’s Market will never ask you for bank details either.
* Beware of any advertisements or offers using webmail email addresses such as @gmail.
Please contact the Food Lover’s Market Customer Care if you are unsure of any link received on WhatsApp, by mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or completing our online “Contact Us” form.