Baked Ginger Apples/Pears served with Crème Fraiche
Want to learn more about cooking techniques, or take part in some fun, interactive cooking classes? Check out Stir Crazy Cooking School.v
Prep Time10 minutes
Cooking Time35 minutes
- 6 apples or pears - cored and cut in half
- Fresh thumb of ginger - finely grated
- Knobs of butter
- Drizzles of verjuice (or grape vinegar)
- Cinnamon sticks
- 2-4 tbs of thick brown sugar, demerara preferably
- 1 pot of Creme Fraiche
- Mint as garnish
- Core apples or pears and cut in half
- Place in an ovenproof dish to fit snugly
- Finely grate fresh ginger and liberally sprinkle over the fruit, and then the sugar.
- Drizzle verjuice over the fruit to coat the bottom of the dish
- Place a knob of butter on each piece of fruit and throw some cinnamon sticks into the dish
- Oven bake until cooked and caramelised - about 30 minutes depending on the size of your fruits. Smaller will take less.
- Serve in a bowl, drizzling the remaining sauce in the dish over the portions.
- Serve with a nice dollop of creme fraiche, mint and even some fresh berries for some colour.
What can you substitute for Verjus?
You can use a dash of regular white wine vinegar.