Beef Shish Kebabs with a Salsa Verde Baby Potato Salad
A South African take on shish kebabs. Traditional shish kebabs are made with lamb, but rump is one of the favourite cuts at the butchery in South Africa, so we decided to make rump shish kebabs. The key to a shish kebab is to marinade it for a long time, which we’ve done for you with the Food Lover’s Lekker braai range, or get them directly from the blockmen at our butcheries. In between the tasty pieces of rump, are onions and pepper for even more flavour. These beef shish kebabs are best grilled on the braai and paired with a salsa verde baby potato salad…a potato salad recipe you’ll want to make for many occasions.
- South African
Prep Time20 minutes
Cooking Time30 minutes
- 8 Food Lover’s Lekka Braai rump shish kebabs (*See notes)
- 500g baby potatoes
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) salt
FOR THE SALSA VERDE:
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh basil leaves
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup fresh chives
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 80ml Food Lover’s Signature extra virgin olive oil
- 45ml (3 Tbsp) freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
CREAMY MUSTARD MAYO:
- 250ml (1 cup) Food Lover’s canola mayonnaise
- 60ml (¼ cup) Food Lover’s double cream yoghurt
- 60ml (¼ cup) Dijon mustard
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- Freshly-ground salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the baby potatoes in salted water over a high heat for about 10 minutes until they are just tender. Remove them from the heat and drain the water. Allow to cool.
- To make the salsa verde; add all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until it’s finely chopped. Add the salsa verde to the cooked baby potatoes, stir to combine and set aside.
- For the creamy mustard mayo; combine all ingredients and season to taste. Braai the rump shish kebabs over medium to hot coals until cooked to your preference.
- Serve the shish kebabs with the creamy mustard mayo and potato salad.
What if my store doesn’t have the Food Lover’s Lekka Braai rump shish kebabs?
You can simply buy a rump steak and cut it into chunks, and pop it on skewers with onions and peppers in between each rump steak piece. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper, and leave in a marinade overnight.