Butter Rusks – 1 recipe, 3 Ways
A South African fave, rusks dunked in a cuppa tea or coffee…yes, please! There is something extra specials about homemade rusks, especially when you can add your own unique touch (ie: flavour). This is a simple butter rusk recipe & you can add your favourite flavours, from rolled who;e oats, to mixed seeds, mixed nuts, a generous dose of raisins/cranberries, or perhaps an interesting Chai spiced?!
You can even use the base butter rusk recipe, split it up into 3 and make 3 different varieties of rusks. They get baked in a tray and cut into rustic fingers to be dried in the oven.
Drying time: 4 hours
- South African
Prep Time30 minutes
Cooking Time4 hours 25 minutes
For the Dough:
- 310 ml (1 ¼ cup) milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) brown sugar
- 250 g salted butter
- 750 g self-rising flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 2 large eggs
For the Toppings:
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) mixed seeds
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) mixed cranberries and coconut flakes
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) chopped nuts
For the Dough:
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- In a small pot over a low to medium heat, add the milk and sugar. Stir until warm and the sugar has dissolved, set aside and allow to cool.
- In the mixer bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Once the butter mixture is cool enough, mix in the eggs and slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix with the paddle attachment until a dough is formed.
- Line a 20 x 30 cm tin with baking paper. Evenly spread the dough in the tin. Use your fingers to press holes into the dough. Press mixed seeds, nuts and cranberries/coconut in three even layers into the dough.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Lower the oven temperature to 100°C.
- Slice the rusks to your desired size and dry them out on an oven rack for 4 - 5 hours.
- Enjoy the rusks with a steaming cup of coffee or tea.