Cheesy Chicken & Mushroom Braai Pie
Makes : 1 x 22cm x 30cm braai pie
Did someone say Braai Pie? YES, what a brilliant way to use up that leftover chicken & stuffing. Shredded chicken, with that sensational stuffing (optional) or mashed butternut, with added mushrooms, sauce, and cheese, popped in some pastry and onto the braai; how could you not try this?!
- Chicken and Poultry
- South African
Prep Time30 minutes
Cooking Time30 minutes
- 2 x 400g sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 200g leftover chicken meat, skin removed and shredded (from chicken pieces)
- 200g mashed butternut or stuffing (or leftover roasted veg)
- 250g mushrooms, sliced and pan fried
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) thyme, chopped
- 70g dried cranberries.
- 125ml (1/2 cup) BBQ sauce
- 150g mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, except the buffalo mozzarella, and mix and season to taste.
- On a floured chopping board, place your first layer of puff pastry and evenly spread your filling onto the pastry sheet, leaving 2-3cm clear around the sides.
- Top the filling with the cheese. Take your second sheet of puff pastry and place on top, folding over excess edges.
- Pinch the pastry closed to ensure the filling does not spill out. Brush with the egg wash.
- Place your chopping board on a braai grid, flip, remove chopping board, brush the other side with egg wash and close the grid.
- Braai on very low heat for about 20-30 minutes and be sure to flip pie continuously to not burn the pastry.