Curried Chicken and Mushroom Pie
Everybody LOVES a good pie, and trust us, this one is a winner. A chicken & mushroom pie with a little twist, that you won’t resist. Whole chickens are roasted, shredded and mixed in with pan-fried mushrooms and some extra spices inspired by the flavours of Africa…Turmeric, and a North African spice (or a ras el hanout or great curry powder.). The filling is mixed with a creamy bechamel (white sauce), topped with puff pastry, and baked until golden, crisp and perfect.
- African Flavours
- Chicken and Poultry
Prep Time20 minutes
Cooking Time45 minutes
For the Filling:
- Olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 baby leeks, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme, picked
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) curry powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) turmeric powder
- 2 whole chickens, roasted and shredded
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Sauce:
- 80ml (1/3 cup) butter
- 80ml (1/3 cup) flour
- 810ml (3 ¼ cups) milk, lukewarm
- 1 roll puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
For the Filling:
- Heat a frying pan with a dash of olive oil.
- Fry the onions, leeks and green pepper until soft and translucent for about 5 minutes. Add the thyme, mushrooms, and spices.
- Add the chicken and season to taste.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, add all the flour and stir until you have a paste. Add the milk and whisk. Season to taste. Whisk constantly until it bubbles, and the flour is cooked.
- Combine the sauce with the filling and place in an ovenproof pie dish.
- Top with pastry to your liking, brush with egg wash and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 40-45 minutes or until cooked and golden.