Mushroom & Barley Soup with Potato Croutons
Craving a hearty and wholesome meal on a chilly evening? Did you know that mushrooms contain B vitamins as well as a powerful antioxidant called selenium, which helps to support the immune system and prevents damage to cells and tissue? Barley is an ancient grain that keeps you fuller for longer and is an excellent source of fibre in your diet.
Cooking tip: When cooking with mushrooms, do NOT wash them to get the soil off. Mushrooms are like little sponges; they will absorb the water and this will result in a watery dish. Rather gently wipe the dirt off the mushrooms with kitchen towel.
- Soups, Stews & Potjies
Prep Time15 minutes
Cooking Time1 hour 15 minutes
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 x 250g button mushroom punnets, cleaned and halved
- 250g exotic mushrooms, chopped
- Fresh thyme, picked
- 1.25l (5 cups) chicken stock
- 1 potato, cut into 1cm blocks
- 500ml (2 cups) pearled barley, cooked according to packet instructions
- 45ml (3 Tbsp) soy sauce
- 125ml (1/2 cup) cream (*replace with coconut cream for vegan option)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Micro herbs, to garnish
- Reserved fried mushrooms
- Chilli oil or cream for garnishing
- Heat a large pot over a medium to high heat and add the butter with a dash of olive oil to prevent the butter from burning.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3-5 minutes, or until nicely browned. Reserve some mushrooms for garnishing.
- Lower the temperature to a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and fresh thyme, to your taste, and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add your chicken stock and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan and add a small knob of butter and a dash of olive oil. Fry the potato cubes until cooked, golden and crispy. Season to taste and set aside until needed.
- Use a stick blender to puree the soup. Adjust with some chicken stock or water if you feel like a runnier soup.
- Add the cooked barley and allow to heat through. Once heated, add the cream & soy sauce and stir.
- Remove from the heat and serve with micro herbs, reserved mushrooms and a chilli oil or cream as garnish.