Oxtail Ravioli with Burnt Butter, Greens and Chilli Oil
You’ll want that leftover oxtail stew just so that you can make this recipe! Even if it’s just a little, a little goes a long way and is worth it for homemade oxtail ravioli. If you have some time, don’t be put off by making your own pasta – just relax and follow there recipe. It can be really fun, do it with your partner, as some me-time or invite a mate over.
- Homemade Products
- South African
Prep Time1 minutes
Cooking Time30 minutes
For the pasta:
- 200g white bread flour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
For the filling:
- 250ml (1 cup) leftover oxtail (use above recipe)
- Handful of parsley, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the chilli oil:
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Food Lover’s Blended Seed & Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 60ml (1/4 cup) canola oil
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 60ml (1/4 cup) butter
- 200g broccolini, steamed
For the Pasta
- Mix flour, salt and parsley. Make a well in the flour mixture and add the egg and olive oil. Gently start to combine the dry and wet ingredients until you have a dough. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Form the dough into a disc, cover with cling film and allow to rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes before rolling.
- Use a pasta roller and roll pasta sheets to about 2mm thick.
- Use an 8cm cutter and cut 40 rounds of pasta. Place about 10-15ml of the oxtail filling on 20 of the pasta rounds, use your finger to slightly wet the edges with water or egg wash, and cover each one with the other 20 pasta sheets. Gently press to ensure the pasta has sealed.
- Rest the ravioli in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Pull the meat from the bone and mix with a bit of thick sauce from the oxtail. Add some parsley, lemon zest and taste to adjust seasoning if needed.
- Mix together all ingredients.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and blanch the ravioli in batches for 2-3 minutes, or until they float to the surface of the water. Remove from the water and drain on kitchen towel. Repeat until all ravioli are blanched.
- Heat a frying pan with the butter on a high heat and fry the ravioli until brown and crispy on both sides.
- Plate the ravioli with steamed broccolini and dress with a drizzle of chilli oil.