Snoekburger with Spicy Tomato Jam
Braai’d snoek Burger night! A new sweet twist on your regular Braai Snoek – turn it into a delicious orange & harissa flavoured burger pattie made with sweet potato & a hint of marmalade. Paired with a tasty tomato jam and your favourite burger toppings.
- South African
For The Fish Patties
- 1 kg Food Lover’s Signature Market Braai Snoek
- Zest of 1 orange
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) orange marmalade or apricot jam
- 500 ml (2 cups) sweet potato, cooked & mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) harissa paste
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For The Tomato Jam
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 marinated sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) brown sugar
- 1-2 red chillies, finely chopped (optional)
For Assembling The Burgers
- 6 sesame seed buns, from our bakery. (*Or Roosterkoek on the Braai)
- 250 ml (1 cup) red cabbage, shredded
- 250 ml (1 cup) rocket leaves, washed
For The Fish Patties:
- Place the snoek on a baking tray. Season with salt and black pepper, cover the fish with orange zest and the jam, drizzle with a dash of olive oil and braai for about 20-25 minutes over medium coals or until fully cooked
- move from the oven and allow to cool before flaking the fish and removing all the bones.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flaked snoek, mashed sweet potato, eggs, harissa paste, spring onions and chopped herbs, season to taste.
- Form the snoek patties and place on a plate or tray and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan with a dash of olive oil and fry the snoek patties for about 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat with a knob of butter, add the onions and fry for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and place the lid on and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar and simmer for about 40-45 minutes or until sticky.
- Slice the rolls and butter them, then toast both sides of the rolls on a griddle pan.
- Top the burgers with the snoek patties, tomato slices, shredded red cabbage and rocket. Serve with the tomato jam and roasted potato wedges.
For The Tomato Jam:
Assembling The Burgers:
IF you have leftover snoek, you can use it the next day to make these burger patties.
Replace the burger buns with Roosterkoek!