Vegan Christmas Fruit Cake
- Homemade Products
- 1kg Food Lover's Luxury Festive Cake Mix
- 250g You First Odorless Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup Unrefined Brown Sugar (*or regular brown sugar, or coconut sugar)
- 500ml Water
- 2 Cups Cake Flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 3 Flax Eggs. (*see how-to in notes below)
- 1/2 cup brandy or tropical juice
- Bring water, sugar and coconut oil to the boil until the coconut oil is melted
- Add the cake mix, bring to boil and boil for a further 15 minutes Let the mixture cool down
- Add the spices and mix
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and mix
- Add the flax eggs and mix
- Add the sifted flour and fold into mixture
- Put mixture into greased 22cm cake tin
- Bake at 160ºC for 1.5 hours
- Allow the cake to cool and then Add 1/2 cup of brandy or tropical juice to keep it moist
- Decorate as desired with nuts, cherries, toasted coconut shavings etc.
- A Flax Egg is an easy vegan substitute for regular eggs in a recipe. 1 Egg = 1 Tbsp Flax Powder mixed with 2.5 Tbsp Water. Allow it to stand for 5 – 15 minutes until it thickens.
- Another egg substitute that you can try is a Chia Egg. 1 Chia Egg = 1 Tbsp ground Chia Seeds mixed with 3 Tbsp water.
- If you would prefer to use vegan margarine instead of Coconut Oil, you may.
- If you would like to make this Gluten-Free or use an alternative flour, give it a go! The easiest should be oat flour (ground up oats), or find a Gluten-Free flour in the Food Lover’s Market health department.