Bacon Wrapped Cherries with Garlic Bruschetta
Buy your own Bacon Wrapped Cherry Skewers at Food Lover’s Market or make your own this festive season. This recipe will be perfect as a snack or starter at your New Year’s braai.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cooking Time20 minutes
For your own Bacon Wrapped Cherry Skewers:
- 12 streaks of bacon, cut in half
- 24 Food Lover’s Cheeky Cherries, pitted
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
For your own Cherry Glaze:
- 250 ml (1 cup) Food Lover’s Cheeky Cherries, pitted
- 30 ml (1 Tbsp) brown sugar
- 30 ml (1 Tbsp) water
For the Bacon Cherry Bruschetta:
- 1 garlic clove, grated finely
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter, softened
- 8 Food Lover’s Bacon Wrapped Cherry Skewers or homemade (recipe above)
- 1 Food Lover’s Market Bakery French Loaf
- Honey, to serve
- Pea shoots, to serve
For your Own Bacon Wrapped Cherry Skewers:
- Wrap the fresh cherries in the streaks of bacon and secure 3 of these roll ups on a skewer. Baste with half the Cherry Glaze
- Braai on medium to hot coals for about 8-10 minutes while turning regularly and basting with the remaining Cherry Glaze.
- Place all ingredients into a small saucepan and cook until soft and reduced. Blend until smooth.
- Combine the garlic and butter and season to taste. Cut the bread into thin diagonal slices and thinly spread the bread with the garlic butter.
- Braai the bread on low heat coals and top with the bacon wrapped cherries. Garnish with honey and pea shoots.