Most people love biltong and can’t help reaching for a little more from the snack bowl. And while everything is good in moderation, biltong is one of the better snacks to enjoy. Let us tell you why;
- Biltong contains fewer kilojoules than other snacks one usually reaches for when you feel like something tasty to nibble on, such as potatoes chips or chocolate.
- The reason for that is that biltong is rich in protein and low in carbohydrates. 25 grams of lean beef biltong can meet half your daily protein requirement.
- It’s high protein content makes it the perfect post-workout snack.
- It stores very well, so not only can it wait in your gym bag but it is perfect for hiking especially long trails such as the famous Otto trail. It is light due to being dried, and won’t spoil due to the drying and spicing.
- The traditional spices used on biltong do not have strange long names but are all natural ingredients you will be familiar with like salt, pepper, vinegar, coriander and paprika. There are less harmful chemicals in the favouring and in the preserving.
- Biltong is low in fat, usually averaging 3%, which makes it a popular weight-reducing diet choice.
- It is naturally gluten-free.
- It’s the ideal banting snack.
- It is high in Vitamin B12 which is essential for healthy blood and nerve cells as well as successful cell replication.
- Moms purchase chewy biltong for children to chew on during teething. It is also beneficial during pregnancy as it is believed to improve and maintain concentration. Remember to avoid moist biltong during pregnancy and stick to trusted and reliable sources.
You can cook with biltong too. Biltong goes beautifully with fresh fruit flavours such as avocado or mango. You can add it to salads for a raw option or drop it into scrambled eggs, a baked bread or tart with cheese or fig for added flavour and a skinny protein boost.
A great tip is to pack your biltong in daily snack portions for the week so it’s ready to grab and go, and you’re not tempted to finish the entire bag – it’s been known to happen!
Get down to your local Food Lover’s Market Biltong bar to select your weight from the wide variety of meats, cuts and spice variants available. We regularly run specials on our beef biltong, check out our special page to find out what’s on special this week.